Intense aroma of hot coffee awakens in the morning, charging with energy for the whole working day. In order not to spend a lot of time on its cooking, it is easier to use the indispensable “assistant” – a coffee maker. The range of such equipment is huge: geysernaya, drip machine, espresso-type devices, etc. But before choosing this technique for yourself, it would not hurt to figure out how the coffee maker works.
Intense aroma of hot coffee awakens in the morning, charging with energy for the whole working day. In order not to spend a lot of time on its cooking, it is easier to use the indispensable “assistant” – a coffee maker. The range of such equipment is huge: geysernaya, drip machine, espresso-type devices, etc. But before choosing this technique for yourself, it would not hurt to figure out how the coffee maker works. This knowledge will help not only to determine the appropriate model, but also to properly regulate the program for obtaining a coffee drink.
Drip type coffee maker
This technique – a real find for lovers of strong American. Among all automatic coffee machines, drip-type machines have the simplest design and principle of operation. What is a drip coffee maker? This is an electric device for the preparation of freshly brewed coffee, which consists of a heating heater, filters and a transparent flask, compactly placed in one case. A striking example is the Maestro 401-MR coffee maker.
The flask is most often made of heat-resistant glass. Plastic counterparts can only be in “budget” models. Taste qualities of the future drink directly depend on the material used to make the flask; therefore, its choice should be approached thoroughly. The bowl is added with the convenient handle and a measured scale. In the event of a breakdown or other defect, this part of the coffee maker can be replaced.
What is inside the case of technology? The lower part of the device is occupied by a heating element. In this design, flow-type heating elements are used, that is, the water, passing through the part, does not come into contact with the walls of the element. The power of the heaters varies between 650 W and 1200 W. It all depends on the size of the coffee maker and manufacturer. The second most important indicator is the cooking time. Given the power, the first portion will be ready in about 5 minutes.
In the upper part of the body is a water tank and filter compartment. They can be used for this technique of 4 types:
- Nylon – comes complete with a coffee maker. This filter is enough for 60 brewed drink, after which the accessory will have to be changed.
- Paper – sold separately. These filters are disposable and must be discarded after each use. The main advantage: low price, as well as the absence of extraneous odors and tastes in the drink.
- Iron – suitable for multiple use, but gives coffee a distinctive metallic taste. To avoid this, the item must be cleaned with high quality.
- “Golden” – an accessory at a cost more than all the previous ones. Durable, but, like a metal filter, requires regular cleaning.
- The water tank can have different capacities and is often made of durable plastic. When using it, the main thing is to ensure that the volumes of the liquid correspond to the index mark inside the case.
The principle of operation of drip coffee makers
Saturated americano is prepared in such a coffee maker by percolation method. Water, filtering through the filter with coffee powder, is poured in separate drops into the flask, filling it with a fresh and fragrant drink. It can be the best cold brew coffee maker. Anyone hear about it? Yes! By using this coffee maker, you can make a cold coffee like from Starbucks.
To get a portion of strong coffee, you must:
- fill the tank with water to the specified mark;
- pour a measuring spoon the right amount of powder in the filter;
- tightly cover the upper part of the body cover;
- press the power button.
- What happens next inside the drip type coffee maker and what is its principle of operation? After starting the technique, the water in the tank heats up to 90 ° C and begins to be pushed up. Having reached the peak, it drips into the filter with the powder, passes through it and, saturated with the taste and smell of coffee, is poured into the bowl. In this case, the drink is obtained without thick, and the entire sediment accumulates on the walls of the filter.
Many coffee makers are equipped with additional features, for example:
- heated coasters – the high temperature at the bottom of the device keeps the coffee hot for several hours;
- delayed start – this function allows you to select the time after which the equipment will automatically turn on to make a drink;
The anti-drip system is a very convenient technology that prevents coffee from spilling onto the surface if you pick up the flask from the stand.
In addition, for some models, you can customize the strength of the drink and its volumes.
At the end of the work of technology it is important to clean the filter (if it is reusable) and rinse the bowl.
The device is a coffee machine type “French press”
The French press is a glass flask-kettle with a handle, which is complemented by a hand press and a metal filter.
The French press is very popular with our compatriots, however, more for brewing tea. It should be noted that the diameter of all flasks is the same, they differ only in height. So, the higher the tank, the larger it is. For example, the Bodum BRAZIL 10938-913 French press holds up to a liter of liquid.
Absolutely all bowls are made of impact-resistant and heat-resistant glass. The case can be supplemented with a metal cup holder or individual elements of the decor of steel, plastic. The lid has a hole where the press is inserted, designed for pressing brewing or coffee powder. A filter strainer is installed at the base of this piston, which fits tightly against the walls of the flask during the spin process.
This teapot got its popularity for:
- acceptable cost, which is much lower than the most “budget” coffee makers;
- ease of maintenance;
- the ability to independently adjust the amount, strength and temperature of coffee.
- In addition, a small press is absolutely versatile and is also suitable for preparing other beverages: tea, cocktails, pressing fruit pulp to get pure juice, etc.
The principle of work of the French Press coffee makers
To prepare a portion of aromatic coffee drink in a glass press, you will need an electric kettle for boiling water, ground coffee and a spoon for stirring.
French coffee press and device detailing
The procedure is quite simple and includes 6 steps:
1. First you need to boil water.
2. Grind whole coffee beans on a coffee grinder.
Tip: in no case should not use a coffee grinder with metal knives – only ceramics. Metal spoils the grain, and as a result, the coffee is not as aromatic as we would like.
3. Ground powder is poured into a glass container. Approximate proportions: 1 teaspoon per cup of drink.
4. Next, boiling water is poured into the container. The volume of water is taken depending on the number of servings.
5. In order for the drink to have a rich taste, you should immediately stir it with a spoon and leave to brew for 3-5 minutes.
6. Now you need to carefully separate the thick of the pure drink. To do this, slowly press the hand on the press so that the filter moves along the walls of the flask evenly.
If you are looking for a coffee grinder, read: How to choose a coffee grinder in 3 steps: a guide for coffee lovers After that, hot coffee can be poured into cups and enjoy its unique taste.